Screen time was first introduced in iOS devices by Apple. It is a good feature to get rid of your smartphone addiction. It helps users limit usage by setting a time limit for using the device. Since MacOS Catalina launched, we have got the Screen Time feature in the Mac too.
If your kid spends hours playing games or surfing on Mac, then it may be a good idea to place certain restrictions. The best way to get a hold of your kid’s Mac usage is to set a time limit which is now possible in Mac by using the Screen Time feature.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive in.
How to Set Up the feature ‘Screen Time’ in your Mac?
To get started with your Screen Time, go to the Apple button located at the top-right corner on your Mac. Now follow the instructions given below to proceed further.
- After navigating to the Apple button, select System Preferences and after that, choose the Screen Time option.
- Now you have to navigate to the “Options” button located at the bottom-left corner of the Screen Time tab.
- There we will tweak a couple of things and settings.
- If you want to know the usage of your Mac on your other Apple devices, then tap on the checkbox which is located beside the “Share across devices” options.
- Now by doing so, you will be able to see the usage of your kid’s Mac on your other devices. But, you will also have to enable this feature and put a checkmark in your other device too. This will enable you to keep an eye on your child’s activity.
- The other checkbox beneath the first one allows you to set a security passcode to configure these settings. This will make sure that your kid will not change the Screen Time usage settings without your approval.
It is a good feature when you share your Mac with your family and children. You can set up the time limit and even protect the Screen Time settings by setting up a password. The Password feature is also useful if your kid tries to disable the Time limit setting that you have just enabled to limit the Mac usage.
How to Set Downtime on Your Mac using Screen Time?
In Screen Time settings, navigate to the “Downtime.” Follow the below steps to set a time boundation for your kid.
- Click the Turn On button to set a downtime.
- Now you can choose whether you want to set it for all days or some specific days.
- Then set a downtime.
Screen time also allows you to Limit the apps and programs. To do so navigate to the “App Limits” settings from the left side navigation bar.
Ellen Cooper is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.